Foreign National Reimbursement Info

What to include in your reimbursement packet:

W-8BEN (Must be complete, signed, dated) (instructions for W-8BEN)
Non-Employee Expense Reimbursement Form (Must be complete, signed, dated)
Copy of passport
Copy of Visa
I-20 Form (for F-1) visa
Original receipts
A written consent/approval from your sponsor Designated Student Official (DSO), that states they’re aware of the travel reimbursement and give approval.

Optional supporting documentation
Transaction Statements
Boarding Passes
Program for the meeting or workshop
Letter of completion for the workshop

The more supporting documentation that is provided, the easier the reimbursement will be processed.

All documentation and forms need to be submitted to the COMPRES office within 20 days of travel.

As a foreign national, you are taxed 14% of the total reimbursed. Those holding a H1-B visa are subject to a 30% tax witholding. If you are eligible, you may file a non-resident tax return at the end of the year. To find out if you are eligible, and for other information please click here.

To avoid tax-withholding as a student with an F-1 visa, visit your local Global Education Office and request Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or for Optional Practical Training (OPT). The University of New Mexico must be listed on your I-20 to avoid tax-withholding. For more information about CPT and OPT click here.

If your institution has a sub-award through COMPRES you will not have tax withheld. Below are the institutions that have COMPRES sub-awards:

Arizona State University
Princeton University
Stony Brook University: Lars Ehm
Stony Brook University: Weidner
University of Chicago
University of Illinos, Chicago
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of California, San Diego
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of Hawaii

If you are a foreign national that has received a reimbursement from the University of New Mexico you do not need to fill out and turn in a W-8BEN again. The W-8BEN is valid for 3 calendar years, unless your personal information (i.e. address) changes. You do, however, need to include everything (listed above) each time that you seek reimbursement. Please note that this includes the non-employee expense reimbursement form.